POST ADOPTION GUIDE
The information on this page is for families seeking support after they have finalized an adoption. If you are searching for your birth family or would like to request a search of adoption records at the Minnesota Department of Human Services, please visit our Post Adoption Search Information page at https://fosteradoptmn.org/search/.
If you are nearing finalization, please discuss these tasks to complete with your adoption worker and your child’s county worker. They will assist you with planning for:
- the court hearing and any court fees
- applying for a new birth certificate
- obtaining the adoption decree
- Northstar Adoption Assistance (more information below)
Additionally, you will need to complete several tasks after the adoption is finalized:
- New Medical Assistance Card:
After finalizing your child’s adoption, you or your adoption worker must apply for a new Medical Assistance (MA) card in your county of residence. You will receive a new card with your child’s adoptive name.
- New Social Security Card:
Once you have finalized your child’s adoption, you will need to apply for a new social security card with your child’s new adoptive name. Click here: https://secure.ssa.gov to find the closest social security office to your home.
To apply for a new social security card in your child’s new adoptive name you will need to bring:
• A certified copy of the adoption decree
• Your child’s new birth certificate
• Photo IDFor security reasons, you may request a new social security number for your child. For more answers to common questions please visit the Social Security Administration website: https://faq.ssa.gov.
- Federal Tax Credit:
You can claim the tax credit if you adopted internationally, domestically, or if you adopted a child from foster care.If you are interested in learning more about the adoption tax credit, visit: https://www.nacac.org/help/adoption-tax-credit/
- Post Adoption Resources & Children’s Mental Health Services:
Accessing post-adoption resources is an important part of the adoption process! If you haven’t already accessed resources for your child and family, now is a good time to explore organizations in your area.
• Commonly Used Post-Adoption Resources
• Support Groups
• Permanency support services for adoptive, foster and kinship families
• Foster Adopt Minnesota Education Program
• Foster Adopt Minnesota HELP Program
• The North American Council on Adoptable Children’s MN based Adoption Support Network (NACAC)
• Children’s Mental Health Services
• Minnesota Association for Children’s Mental Health
• NAMI Minnesota
• Connect with a Foster Adopt Minnesota Post-Adoption Navigator
- New Medical Assistance Card:
Northstar Adoption Assistance & Kinship Assistance
The MN Department of Human Services is your resource for any questions you may have about your child’s Northstar Adoption/Kinship Assistance benefits. You can access your family’s account online on the Benefits Information Portal (BiP) by visiting their website at https://bip.dhs.mn.gov/. You can also contact the DHS Adoption Assistance team by email with any questions you have: email@example.com.
Here are some helpful links about Adoption Assistance:
Legacy Adoption Assistance Program Overview (adoptions completed before January 1, 2015).
This link will provide instructions on reimbursement for: non-recurring expenses, childcare, respite, camp, home and vehicle modifications. It also provides information on Adoption Assistance extension after 18, Adoption Assistance and SSI, and Medical Assistance.
Northstar Adoption Assistance Program (adoptions completed after January 1, 2015
This link provides instructions on reimbursement for: non-recurring expenses, home and vehicle modifications. It also offers information on Adoption Assistance extension after 18, Adoption Assistance and SSI, and Medical Assistance.
Northstar Kinship Assistance Program (transfer of permanent legal and physical custody completed after January 1, 2015)
This link offers instructions on reimbursement for: non-recurring expenses. It also provides information on Kinship Assistance Agreement Extension after 18, Kinship Assistance, SSI, and Medical Assistance.